Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Living the B & B Dream


 
 
 
 
I hear it all the time: “Someday, we thought it would be nice to open a bed and breakfast.” This is usually one part confession and one part inquiry.

As I am nearing my 25th anniversary of actually owning and operating a B & B, there is no quick & easy response to this. Truthfully, I would like to say: “Why someday? Life is short. Why not do it now?”

But I am not so direct. I do realize it’s a dream for many people - a rosy image of heritage home, delicious smells of eggs & bacon and interesting travel conversations over coffee. If I were to ask Why Not; the dream might just fracture into serious self-doubts and lack of planning.

So I smile and say: “Ask me anything.”

I mean it. Do you think you would like to do bed & breakfast? My name is David - ask me anything!

4 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for the last couple months now. My wife and I have been always talked about opening up a B&B when we retired and that time has come. We are looking to buy out an old building like a pub to convert into a classic B&B. Our current house isn't big enough. Any suggestions on what we should consider when buying? http://www.jphotels.com.au http://www.jphotels.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think bed and breakfasts have a more home like atmosphere than hotels. You have a very nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have owned my bed & breakfast for 25 years. I have had so many guests tell me they want to a bed and breakfast when they retire. I silently say to myself, "you are just going to be tired, not retired." I wonder if they have any idea how much work it takes to run a bed and breakfast, and still make it appear effortless. I guess though when you do some out of love, it's not work - and I DO LOVE IT!!
    Carol
    www.LazyCloud.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David if you really love to open your own B&B so just listen to your heart ! every tourister or traveler always looks for stay at peaceful place then here you have chance to fulfill your dream. just need to do some planning & setup, in starting you can start it in initial level....believe in yourself and start making this. Wishing you Good Luck!

    http://www.westridgeguesthousepa.com/

    ReplyDelete

We love comments!